Cardiff University | Prifysgol Caerdydd ORCA
Online Research @ Cardiff 
WelshClear Cookie - decide language by browser settings

The Atacama Cosmology Telescope: cosmological parameters from the 2008 power spectrum

Dunkley, J., Hlozek, R., Sievers, J., Acquaviva, V., Ade, Peter A. R., Aguirre, P., Amiri, M., Appel, J. W., Barrientos, L. F., Battistelli, E. S., Bond, J. R., Brown, B., Burger, B., Chervenak, J., Das, S., Devlin, M. J., Dicker, S. R., Doriese, W. Bertrand, Dünner, R., Essinger-Hileman, T., Fisher, R. P., Fowler, J. W., Hajian, A., Halpern, M., Hasselfield, M., Hernández-Monteagudo, C., Hilton, G. C., Hilton, M., Hincks, A. D., Huffenberger, K. M., Hughes, D. H., Hughes, J. P., Infante, L., Irwin, K. D., Juin, J. B., Kaul, M., Klein, J., Kosowsky, A., Lau, J. M, Limon, M., Lin, Y-T., Lupton, R. H., Marriage, T. A., Marsden, D., Mauskopf, Philip Daniel, Menanteau, F., Moodley, K., Moseley, H., Netterfield, C. B, Niemack, M. D., Nolta, M. R., Page, L. A., Parker, L., Partridge, B., Reid, B., Sehgal, N., Sherwin, B., Spergel, D. N., Staggs, S. T., Swetz, D. S., Switzer, E. R., Thornton, R., Trac, H., Tucker, Carole Elizabeth, Warne, R., Wollack, E. and Zhao, Y. 2011. The Atacama Cosmology Telescope: cosmological parameters from the 2008 power spectrum. Astrophysical Journal 739 (1) , 52. 10.1088/0004-637X/739/1/52

Full text not available from this repository.


We present cosmological parameters derived from the angular power spectrum of the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation observed at 148 GHz and 218 GHz over 296 deg2 with the Atacama Cosmology Telescope (ACT) during its 2008 season. ACT measures fluctuations at scales 500 < ℓ < 10, 000. We fit a model for the lensed CMB, Sunyaev-Zel'dovich (SZ), and foreground contribution to the 148 GHz and 218 GHz power spectra, including thermal and kinetic SZ, Poisson power from radio and infrared point sources, and clustered power from infrared point sources. At ℓ = 3000, about half the power at 148 GHz comes from primary CMB after masking bright radio sources. The power from thermal and kinetic SZ is estimated to be , where . The IR Poisson power at 148 GHz is (C ℓ = 5.5 ± 0.5 nK2), and a clustered IR component is required with , assuming an analytic model for its power spectrum shape. At 218 GHz only about 15% of the power, approximately 27 μK2, is CMB anisotropy at ℓ = 3000. The remaining 85% is attributed to IR sources (approximately 50% Poisson and 35% clustered), with spectral index α = 3.69 ± 0.14 for flux scaling as S(ν)να. We estimate primary cosmological parameters from the less contaminated 148 GHz spectrum, marginalizing over SZ and source power. The ΛCDM cosmological model is a good fit to the data (χ2/dof = 29/46), and ΛCDM parameters estimated from ACT+Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) are consistent with the seven-year WMAP limits, with scale invariant ns = 1 excluded at 99.7% confidence level (CL) (3σ). A model with no CMB lensing is disfavored at 2.8σ. By measuring the third to seventh acoustic peaks, and probing the Silk damping regime, the ACT data improve limits on cosmological parameters that affect the small-scale CMB power. The ACT data combined with WMAP give a 6σ detection of primordial helium, with YP = 0.313 ± 0.044, and a 4σ detection of relativistic species, assumed to be neutrinos, with N eff = 5.3 ± 1.3 (4.6 ± 0.8 with BAO+H 0 data). From the CMB alone the running of the spectral index is constrained to be dns /dln k = –0.034 ± 0.018, the limit on the tensor-to-scalar ratio is r < 0.25 (95% CL), and the possible contribution of Nambu cosmic strings to the power spectrum is constrained to string tension Gμ < 1.6 × 10–7 (95% CL).

Item Type: Article
Date Type: Publication
Status: Published
Schools: Physics and Astronomy
Subjects: Q Science > QB Astronomy
Uncontrolled Keywords: cosmic background radiation; cosmological parameters; cosmology: observations
Publisher: Institute of Physics
ISSN: 0004-637X
Last Modified: 23 Jan 2020 03:50

Citation Data

Cited 314 times in Scopus. View in Scopus. Powered By Scopus® Data

Actions (repository staff only)

Edit Item Edit Item