Cardiff University | Prifysgol Caerdydd ORCA
Online Research @ Cardiff 
WelshClear Cookie - decide language by browser settings

Early- and late-onset psoriasis: a cross-sectional clinical and immunocytochemical investigation

Theodorakopoulou, E., Yiu, Z. Z. N., Bundy, C., Chularojanamontri, L., Gittins, M., Jamieson, L. A., Motta, L., Warren, R. B. and Griffiths, C. E. M. 2016. Early- and late-onset psoriasis: a cross-sectional clinical and immunocytochemical investigation. British Journal of Dermatology 175 (5) , pp. 1038-1044. 10.1111/bjd.14886

Full text not available from this repository.


Background There is accumulating evidence that early-onset psoriasis (EOP; presenting at or before 40 years of age) and late-onset psoriasis (LOP; presenting after 40 years of age) are different diseases. Objectives We aimed to identify potential clinical and immunocytochemical differences between EOP and LOP. Methods We assessed immunocytochemistry in involved (PP) skin and uninvolved skin (n = 31) and demographics, psoriasis phenotype and psychological parameters (n = 340) in a cross-sectional study. Results Immunocytochemistry revealed (17 EOP, 14 LOP) a greater lymphocytic infiltrate in PP skin of EOP compared with LOP (P = 0·03), with a higher epidermal CD4+ : CD8+ ratio in LOP (1·3) compared with EOP (0·5) (P = 0·002). In 340 patients with psoriasis (278 EOP, 62 LOP), we found an association with a positive first or second degree family history of psoriasis [62·0% vs. 35·6%, adjusted odds ratio (OR) 8·32, 95% confidence interval (CI) 1·90–36·52] and a higher likelihood of having parents with EOP (adjusted OR 10·34, 95% CI 1·32–81·83) in the EOP group. Patients with EOP were more likely to have received biological therapy (13·3% EOP vs. 3·5% LOP, P = 0·042), while patients with LOP had a higher likelihood of having type 2 diabetes (adjusted OR 3·43, 95% CI 1·004–11·691) and autoimmune thyroiditis (adjusted OR 5·05, 95% CI 1·62–15·7). Patients with LOP also had greater anxiety than patients with EOP (mean Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale-A score LOP 8 ± 5, EOP 5 ± 5; P = 0·006). Conclusions Our findings provide further evidence for the difference between EOP and LOP.

Item Type: Article
Date Type: Publication
Status: Published
Schools: Healthcare Sciences
Publisher: Wiley
ISSN: 0007-0963
Related URLs:
Date of Acceptance: 12 July 2016
Last Modified: 02 Mar 2021 15:01

Citation Data

Cited 19 times in Scopus. View in Scopus. Powered By Scopus® Data

Actions (repository staff only)

Edit Item Edit Item