Cardiff University | Prifysgol Caerdydd ORCA
Online Research @ Cardiff 
WelshClear Cookie - decide language by browser settings

Endoscopic biopsy and third ventriculostomy for the management of pineal region tumours

Ahmed, Aminul I., Zaben, Malik ORCID:, Mathad, Nijaguna V. and Sparrow, Owen C.E. 2015. Endoscopic biopsy and third ventriculostomy for the management of pineal region tumours. World Neurosurgery 83 (4) , pp. 543-547. 10.1016/j.wneu.2014.11.013

Full text not available from this repository.


Objective To assess the histologic accuracy of endoscopic biopsy samples of the pineal region. Pineal region tumors usually present with acute hydrocephalus. Histologic diagnosis is paramount, as it greatly influences treatment. Endoscopic techniques can combine histologic diagnosis with relief of the obstructive hydrocephalus in a single operation. Because pineal region tumors can be heterogeneous, initial biopsy samples may not represent the most aggressive portion of the tumor. Methods This retrospective study reviews our experience of endoscopic third ventriculostomy combined with biopsy of the lesion. The histologic diagnosis as a result of the initial biopsy was compared with the final histologic diagnosis to establish the accuracy of the endoscopic biopsy sample in aiding diagnosis. Results Forty-seven patients underwent an endoscopic third ventriculostomy. All but 1 patient underwent a concurrent biopsy of the space-occupying lesion and 39 of 46 patients (85%) had a histologic diagnoses. In the remaining 7 patients (15%), the histology was negative; in 6 cases, the second attempt to obtain a histologic diagnosis was successful (2 repeat endoscopic biopsy samples, 2 resections, 2 stereotactic biopsy samples). In 1 patient a presumed low-grade tectal tumor was followed up with sequential scanning. Twenty-eight patients underwent subsequent operations (24 resections, 4 stereotactic biopsies). In 6 of 28 patients (21%), the histologic report was amended after the second procedure. Conclusions The endoscopic biopsy sample yields an accurate histologic diagnosis for most pineal region tumors, with a positive histologic sample in about 85% of patients. However, the results must be interpreted cautiously, as the heterogeneous nature of these tumors may lead to an approximately 21% error rate in the initial tumor diagnosis.

Item Type: Article
Date Type: Publication
Status: Published
Schools: Biosciences
Neuroscience and Mental Health Research Institute (NMHRI)
Publisher: Elsevier
ISSN: 1878-8750
Date of Acceptance: 20 November 2014
Last Modified: 28 Oct 2022 09:23

Citation Data

Cited 25 times in Scopus. View in Scopus. Powered By Scopus® Data

Actions (repository staff only)

Edit Item Edit Item