Cardiff University | Prifysgol Caerdydd ORCA
Online Research @ Cardiff 
WelshClear Cookie - decide language by browser settings

Epidemiology and outcomes in community-acquired versus hospital-acquired AKI

Wonnacott, Alexa, Meran, Soma, Amphlett, Bethan, Talabani, Bnar and Phillips, Aled 2014. Epidemiology and outcomes in community-acquired versus hospital-acquired AKI. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 9 (6) , pp. 1007-1014. 10.2215/CJN.07920713

Full text not available from this repository.


Background and objective Compared with AKI in hospitalized patients, little is known about patients sustaining AKI in the community and how this differs from AKI in hospital. This study compared epidemiology, risk factors, and short- and long-term outcomes for patients with community-acquired (CA) and hospital-acquired (HA) AKI. Design, setting, participants, & measurements A total of 15,976 patients admitted to two district general hospitals between July 11, 2011, and January 15, 2012 were studied. Through use of an electronic database and the AKI Network classification, 686 patients with CA-AKI and 334 patients with HA-AKI were identified. Patients were followed up for 14 months, and data were collated on short-term and long-term renal and patient outcomes. Results The incidence of CA-AKI among all hospital admissions was 4.3% compared with an incidence of 2.1% of HA-AKI, giving an overall AKI incidence of 6.4%. Patients with CA-AKI were younger than patients with HA-AKI. Risks for developing HA and CA-AKI were similar and included preexisting CKD, cardiac failure, ischemic heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, dementia, and cancer. Patients with CA-AKI were more likely to have stage 3 AKI and had shorter lengths of hospital stay than patients with HA-AKI. Those with CA-AKI had better (multivariate-adjusted) survival than patients with HA-AKI (hazard ratio, 1.8 [95% CI, 1.44–2.13; P<0.001] for HA-AKI group). Mortality for the CA-AKI group was 45%; 43.7% of these deaths were acute in-hospital deaths. Mortality for the HA-AKI group was 62.9%, with 68.1% of these deaths being acute in-hospital deaths. Renal referral rates were low across the cohorts (8.3%). Renal outcomes were similar in both CA-AKI and HA-AKI groups, with 39.4% and 33.6% of patients in both groups developing de novo CKD or progression of preexisting CKD within 14 months, respectively. Conclusion Patients with CA-AKI sustain more severe AKI than patients with HA-AKI. Despite having risk factors similar to those of patients with HA-AKI, patients with CA AKI have better short- and long-term outcomes.

Item Type: Article
Date Type: Publication
Status: Published
Schools: Medicine
Subjects: R Medicine > R Medicine (General)
Publisher: American Society of Nephrology
ISSN: 1555-9041
Date of First Compliant Deposit: 23 November 2016
Date of Acceptance: 28 January 2014
Last Modified: 20 Jan 2021 12:01

Citation Data

Cited 124 times in Scopus. View in Scopus. Powered By Scopus® Data

Actions (repository staff only)

Edit Item Edit Item